They had a lot to choose from:
Respondents were given a shortlist and asked to vote.
Most ridiculous British law:
1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27 percent)
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down (seven percent)
3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (six percent)
4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (five percent)
5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (four percent)
6. A pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman’s helmet (four percent)
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the king, and the tail of the queen (3.5 percent)
8. It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (three percent)
9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour (three percent)
10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (two percent)
America has it’s stupid laws also. For example:
- In Kansas City, minors are not allowed to purchase cap pistols, however they may buy shotguns freely.
- In Nogales, AZ, an ordinance prohibits the wearing of suspenders.
- In South Dakota, if there are more than 5 Native Americans on your property you may shoot them.
- In Louisana, one could land in jail for up to a year for making a false promise.
And finally, from California:
- Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
- Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.
- You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.
- Men who wear moustaches are forbidden from kissing women.
- It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
Find more absurdities here.